A Visual Merchandiser is a person hired by every Brand to help in-store brand categories to perform & get the sale through value. Visual Merchandiser is full of knowledge about colors, aesthetics & ideas to perform best to their abilities. They also help in getting very unique ideas to manipulate with customer’s mind & lead the customer to buy the product.
A visual merchandiser is responsible for putting together the visual presentation and arrangements for items that are on sale. Their main job is to creating something alluring while being a good representation of the product. They use their design skills to help in promoting the products, image, and services of retail businesses and other organizations.
Every person has a unique way of thinking & displaying the products. They use their designing skills to promote the product and services of retail for businesses and other organizations. They create eye– catching merchandise displays and Store lay-outs.
Depending on your responsibilities, your day-to-day work might include:
- Producing design ideas for displays and developing floor plans, or following a company plan
- Creating special displays to promote a specific product or offer
- Drawing designs and plans by hand or computer
- Deciding how to use space and lighting creatively
- Making the best use of a store’s space and layout
- Creating branded visual merchandising packs to send to each branch of a store
- Giving feedback to head office and buying teams
- setting up displays, dressing dummies, and arranging screens, fabric, and posters
- Sourcing display materials and hiring, borrowing or making props
- Teaching sales staff how goods should be displayed
- Taking down old displays
Senior visual merchandisers are usually responsible for planning the store display for the year, creating visual plans, and buying the appropriate models, props, equipment, and signage.
Head office visual merchandiser coordinators often prepare a visual merchandising pack to send to other stores, so that all stores have the same company look and feel.
Being a visual merchandiser could involve traveling between stores, working from head office, or taking responsibility for one particular store, depending on your level of responsibility and which retailer you work for.
Some Visual merchandisers, usually seniors create the designs themselves either by hand or using customer software, whereas others in store responsible for implementing the designs physically. Implementing designs usually direct as lifting heavy equipment, dressing mannequins, or revamping store layouts.
The job of a visual merchandiser requires them to be highly creative and innovative. They have to come up with new ideas to place their product in the market and grab the attention of customers.
You will find Visual merchandisers in Retail as there is direct contact with customers & can encourage them to buy the products. The main goal of doing VM is to attract, engage, and motivate the customer towards making a purchase. There are key elements that we need to follow while doing display are color, landscape, communication, texture, and décor for an effective display.
It has benefits to retail business with increase customer entry and increases sales. With effective visual merchandising, the amount of customers enters the brand and notice most of it, also have a clear and positive perspective towards it.
Eligibility to become A Visual Merchandiser:
It is required to meet the eligibility criteria of a visual merchandiser should be the primary objective that must be fulfilled by the candidate who wishes to pursue a career in this profession.
- The candidate must have completed his/ her graduation with a degree in design.
- The aspirant must obtain his/ her undergraduate degree from a recognized university.
- Candidates who have done a diploma course in Visual Merchandising are also recruited at certain posts.
- Having some experience during an internship etc. will make the candidature of the student more solid and he/ she will be given preference over others who have no experience.
- Proficiency in design tools and software like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. is mandatory.
- Moving from an in-store sales assistant role to a trainee visual merchandiser post.
A Good Visual Merchandiser makes a store stand out with their creative skills and attract shoppers. They do not only help the store look attractive but also help within increasing customers & sales to their Retail businesses which in return gives a good reason for customers to come back again.
Skills required to be a Visual Merchandiser:
- Understanding of the Brand
- Creative and Innovative Mind
- Commercial Awareness
- Sharp Analytics
- Keeps updates about Trends
- Decision Maker
- Computer Literacy
- Strong Communication
- Leadership Skills
A Career in Visual Merchandising:
- It is a job that will allow you to make the most of your creativity and see your designs on full display. Added to that, if you work for a company with branches abroad, you may have the chance to travel internationally, except at the beginning stages of your career.
- The job of a visual merchandiser is very creative and innovative, so the individual doesn’t find the job to be uninteresting.
- Interacting with the customers directly through their designs allowed them an opportunity to get honest feedback.
- Like several times a year, the displays have to be updated in-line with sales promotions and seasonal changes. During busier times, you may have to work for long hours.
- At times, visual merchandisers have to work extra to meet the deadlines and have all the work completed by then. Some urgent requirements may lead them to pull off extra hectic hours to deliver within tight deadlines.
- The pay scale of visual merchandisers increases gradually. Freshers are not given huge salary packages unless they are working for leading international brands.
- The competition in terms of visual merchandising is quite tough. Therefore, visual merchandisers have to constantly provide better and more creative work
Top Recruiting Companies for a Visual Merchandiser:
- Shoppers Stop
- Reliance Industries
- Aditya Birla Group
- Landmark Group
- Marks and Spencer
- Big Bazaar
- Forrest Essentials
Employment Opportunities for a Visual Merchandiser
The sectors and industries in which visual merchandisers are recruited consist of a vast range. Some of the leading industries that hire visual merchandisers have been listed below. Candidates can look for a job as a visual merchandiser in any of these areas.
- Retail Establishments
- Department Stores
- Various Outlets
- Theatre Companies
- Fashion Stores
- Marketing Agencies
- Jewelry Stores
- Accessory Lines
- Print Media
- Books and Publishing Houses
Pay Scale of Visual Merchandiser:
The Salary of a Visual Merchandiser depends on several factors, qualification of the candidate, previous work experience, last worked company, etc. that are responsible for determining the salary. On average, the beginning salary of a visual merchandiser is around Rs.4 lakh per annum at the organizations of the basic level. The package can go up to Rs.9-10 lakh per annum if the company is well known and internationally acknowledged.
VM is more about “Expect more, pay less”, promising to fulfill all the customer requirements today, tomorrow, or in the coming Retail future. It is a practice in the industry to carry forward with the ideas of floor plan development and three–dimensional displays to maximize sales.
“Sell The Problem You Solve, Not Just The Product”